A self-contained motor and generator set that operates as a second generator for TecQuipment’s Power System Trainer (PSS1). It provides extra experiments and studies into power generation.
The motor (prime mover) and generator set consists of two coupled machines mounted in the base of the control console. Manual or different types of automatic excitation control the output of the generator. A vector drive controls the speed of the motor. Digital meters show the conditions of the prime mover and generator.
The relays show students how actual generators are protected and the different ways that they are protected. Students can set the relays from their control panels. The relays also include sockets to link them to a suitable computer for more detailed programming, if needed. The relays operate the circuit-breakers around the second generator. The circuit-breakers also include hand-operated switches, and lamps. The lamps show whether the circuit-breaker is open or closed. The Second Generator links to the Power System Trainer at the higher voltage (transmission) level to simulate central generation, for example main power stations.
The Second Generator also links to the Power System Trainer at the lower voltage (utilisation) level to simulate embedded generation directly to a load, for example a generator at a factory or hospital.
Multifunction digital meters at the generator output and the utilisation and distribution outputs show the conditions of all three phases.
- Central and embedded generation
- Synchronising and parallelling with another three-phase source (mains or generator)
- Load sharing and stiff/weak systems
- Circulating current monitoring
- Three-source systems: connecting the generator at the central generation or embedded generation level
- Automatic voltage regulator operation in constant reactive power and constant power factor modes